Monday, October 12, 2015

Life at the Moment

Since I have last written on here, we have had some big changes. Our family has moved to the other side of the country. We are living in a large house on a half acre lot in the City of Douglasville, a town that is probably about the size of Lompoc and is half an hour away from Atlanta. Atlanta is crazy huge! Like, twice the size of vegas. I don't go to Atlanta. Everything I need is either here in Douglasville, or is in Marietta, the town that Isaac got a job in. He is working for Cobb County fire department as a building plans reviewer. He really likes his new job, and I have more opportunities for work or getting my Doctorate out her in Georgia than I would back in Las Vegas. I was only planning on us living out here for about 4 or 5 years max, but only the future can tell how long we will stay here.

When I was a child, we had this flannel quiet book that I would play with during sacrament meeting. The book was set in the country, and I could move the flannel kids around to make them play in the spring time, or autumn or winter, etc. I always wanted to jump into that book. To live in the country rather than the city/desert with places to run and trees that changed colors. I feel like Douglasville IS that book. And I have jumped into it. Which makes me very happy.

I also desperately want to go back to Las Vegas. I DO NOT like being so far away from everyone. Las Vegas is my home. Part of me is like "okay, this vacation is nice. Time to go home." Except that it's not a vacation, and I'm not going home. Its really unnerving for me. For my friends (and husband) who have lived in various different places, my being homesick is a strange thing. But I have only ever lived in the Las Vegas valley. I feel like I have left my safe spot. I can't really describe it. But I miss my friends and family back there something fierce.

Well, anyway, enough about that. We lost our kitty Tinkerbelle the first day here in Douglasville. I still miss her; she was an awesome cat. We now have two adorable kittens named Merlin and King Arthur. Ammon and Hyrum are both in school now, and doing well. Keeping up on homework is difficult because the neighbor kids always want to play with them. On Thursday evening, I counted 22 kids playing outside on our street. They weren't all from our street, and some of them are teenagers. But our driveway usually has a bunch of kids running around on it in the afternoons. Both boys are trying to learn how to ride a bike. Our back yard is a hill, so Isaac has them start at the top and ride down the hill to practice getting their balance. Often they run into the side of the house with a loud THUD!

Enoch is in speech therapy at the school here, and he goes twice a week. Zion is jealous that he is the only one who doesn't get to go to school. After we pick up Enoch from class in the morning, we head over to the gym, where they play with Ms. Laurie, a fabulous lady who runs the children's play area like a day care. We love her. They play while I exercise. I have been trying to get homework read while I am on the stationary bike or the elliptical. I'd rather read about creating an emergency planning exercise rather than watch the crappie television shows that are playing on the televisions above me. I've got a good routine going and it gives me some time to do some uninterrupted reading.

Speaking of which, it will be a miracle if I pass this semester. I am SOOOOOO far behind with school. Moving to a new place while in grad school is not a good idea. I have a month and a half to get caught up. hahahahah oh dear.... I graduate in June though, which I am looking forward to. I have made some really awesome friends throughout this program though. And I've learned a lot.

Tomorrow is ISaac's birthday!!! He turns 35.

I joined a choir out here. It's just a small one that is close to my house. I've only gone twice and I'm not all that thrilled with the group. They are alright I guess. They are missing that Sass that the Chorale back in vegas had. That family feeling. In the chorale, everyone had each other's back. It was FUN! I don't sense that with this group. But I've only been there two weeks, so I'll give them some more time. If I don't feel into it, I will quit after christmas.

Isaac has been called as the elders quorum president. We just moved in, and we still don't really know people. He doesn't have counselors yet, and I think the calling is a bit overwhelming for him at this point. HI suppose this calling will help him get to know people quickly. I am doing the music for the primary. I am totally fine with that. I could stay in this calling forever. :)

And finally Zion. Zion is a two year old. He loves bananas, getting dirty, helping me put away dishes, and watching Team Umizoomi. Seriously most of his day is spent watching that show over and over again on Amazon. I have a lot of the songs memorized. He cries and cries if I don't put it on for him. Although he has just discovered Paw Patrol, so maybe we can get him to switch it up some. He does a fake laugh all the time when he thinks something is funny. And he is very particular about picking out the things he wants. It has to be the BLUE bowl, or he won't eat the cereal he just asked for. He has to wear the grey socks, or the yellow shirt or whatever. Tantrums erupt all the time. Tantrums Constantly! I have even pulled out my phone and had him watch Team Umizoomi on YouTube while we were at the grocery store once, just because I needed him to stop throwing a tantrum about helping him with his seat belt. Independence is what this kid wants.

I think that's about it for now. I'll update in a few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment