Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Ammon has forever changed halloween for me

I have always loved Halloween. The spookiness, The costumes, the candy, the parties. But recently I went into a halloween store with the boys to look for a Winnie the Pooh costume for Hyrum. Poor Ammon was so scared. There were moving Zombie statues and evil dead baby statues and skulls everywhere.... It was all quite evil and satanic. And I instantly felt sadness and compassion for my children. Needless to say, we didn't stay long. And now whenever I see anything like that (skulls, zombies, fake blood, etc) I am immediately turned off by it. I mean, I still like the idea of dressing up,parties and candy, cute ghosts and frankinstines carved into pumpkins, but the whole hard core scary thing really bothers me now. Which is kinda funny because I didn't think this way a week ago. But I see Halloween through the eyes of my 3 year old (I still can't believe he's three!) And I don't think I like what I see.

The halloween right after Isaac and I got married, we watched the movie The Ring. I was told it "wasn't that scarry." Ha! Big mistake. We watched an evil movie, and something evil came into our home. Not crawling out of the tv like in the movie, but an evil spirit that I guess felt that it was invited in when we watched the ring. It didn't go away for over a week. It wasn't until I was sitting in relief society a week and a half later that I finally felt that whatever (whoever) had come into our home had lost intrest in us and had left. During that time I felt uneasy at home and had really bad nightmares. Not the zombie kind, but the I'm being molested/my brother is being murdered kind. Really really bad. Andway, from that day on, scary evil movies, no matter their rating (the ring was PG13) are NOT allowed in our house.

So I guess it did bother me before, just not like it does now. I am thankfull to the little boys in my life who reopen my eyes to see that somethings in life are a lot more harmfull to our souls than we seem to think.....

No comments:

Post a Comment