Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial day at Hoover


A few years ago, we started a tradition of going out to Veterans Memorial Cemetary on Memorial day to put flowers on my grandparents' grave. It's the only day of the year that I go out to Boulder City, and we try to make it a reverent and respectful visit. I talked to Ammon and Hyrum about life and death and the plan of salvation and we read the names of those who have served our country. It's a tradition that I feel is important.

So once again we headed out to Veterans Memorial Cemetary. Isaac wasn't feeling well, so he stayed home, and just the boys and I went. I couldn't get any pictures of Ammon and Hyrum at the cemetary, I was too busy trying to keep Hyrum off of the headstones and reading off EVERY SINGLE NAME to Ammon. ("Read this name Mommy! Read this one too! What does this one say?!") After about 3 rows of names I said it was time to go. :)
So we hop back in the van, and On a whim I decided to take the boys to Hoover Dam. I haven't been there in YEARS and since we were out at Boulder anyway, it wouldn't be quite so much of a trip. It was quite fun.

Hyrum saying, "Mom pick me up! I wanna see the river!"


Every couple of feet both boys would beg me to pick them up to show them the Dam or the Water, since they weren't really tall enough to see over the protection wall. I certainly got my work-out lifting up the boys.
We got lunch at the cafe which inclued a little souviner for each of the boys- a beaver that zips open so you can hide your coins. I gave each of the boys 50 cents to put in their Beavers.


We went at a great time of the day- before it got too hot and too crowded. A lot of people that we passed thought that Ammon and Hyrum's "leashes" were hysterical. I got so many people pointing at their "leashes" and laughing about them in other languages. Okay, so they're a little Nontraditional. They work and I'm ever so glad I have them. :)


The only draw back of the day was when Ammon lost his hat. It was a hat I bought at Disneyland back in 1999, and I can't exactly get a new one. We walked all over, back and forth trying to find it. It was hot by this time, and my feet and back were hurting, and Hyrum didn't want to wear his monkey anymore. Luckily, we looked at these pictures we took and realised where it probably fell down. A nice police man gave it back to us in exchange for a high 5 from Ammon. Then we rushed to the car and I drove home while the boys slept soundly.

Notice the hat on the ground?




But overall it was a VERY nice morning with my boys. And Isaac seems to be feeling better now too. Time to make some Homemade Ice cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment