Sunday, March 24, 2013

Baby name drama

I take naming my children very seriously. I want them to have righteous names, with good meanings. I don't want them having names that are shortened down to meaningless nick names. It has to fit that child. It became very depressing and stressful because I have been trying to figure out this baby's name the whole pregnancy and kept coming up with nothing. I would think of Name after Name, and none of them felt right. But then through a very spiritual experience that I won't share over the internet, I came up with the name Zion. And it was the first time that Isaac really agreed with me on a name. All the other names received a "no" or a "well if you want." But this was a "yes" from my husband. It felt so very right to both of us. And it felt so GOOD to really truly know my baby's name.

Then there was a huge fuss made lately over the name I picked out for my baby. This fuss got back to me. And really REALLY made me angry. People were acting like it was an offensive name. Because you know, the name Zion has a completely HORRIBLE meaning. ::rolls eyes::

Okay, maybe the name wasn't one that THEY would pick out, but they had their chance to name their children, I get to name mine.

It's not even like I picked a totally out there name like Apple. Or Moroni ( I seriously considered Moroni). It's not a name that's hard to pronounce or spell. It doesn't have a bad meaning, nor is it associated with bad people.

Did you know that Zion is in the baby names book I have that was published back in 1986!? It's not even like it's a NEW name. Maybe not as common as say, Andrew or Jacob. But not something I've made up.

I felt all this VERY negative pressure to change the name. I was told that several people refused to call him Zion and were going to call him by his middle name. The whole situation was very depressing. I seriously thought about changing the name. I didn't like people being upset with me over a name that I picked. But when it comes to other names, I am drawing a SERIOUS stupor of thought.

Right after everything came up, A friend of mine wrote me on Facebook telling me how cool it was that I was naming him Zion, because that was her little brother's name. It was reassuring, but I wasn't sure if I was brave enough to stand up to those who didn't like the name.

A couple days later, I was watching one of those remodeling your house shows on TV and the contractor was talking to his little boy who's name was Zion. Once again, a little bit more reassuring. But I still wasn't sure if I was going to keep the name or not.

Then I talked with Isaac this evening about names, trying to figure out which one we should name the baby, and he said that he was really tired of having this conversation. Especially since we had already picked a name. We had already received our revelation for this baby. The reason we cannot find another name for this child that feels right is because the Lord ALREADY answered our prayer. Going back and saying, "uh, yeah sorry Lord. Some people said they don't like it and want us to change the name. Can you give us a different one?" just doesn't work. And you know what? Isaac is ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!

So, we decided to change the name. The middle name anyway. We are keeping the first.

Zion Adam Juarez.

I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment