Often times I look around me and feel like I have not accomplished much. And other times I feel so overwhelmed and stressed out. I am in this constant battle to prove myself to myself and others, even when others may or may not actually be judging me.
I have a tendency to focus on what I haven't achieved rather than what I have. The whole not having a career thing really bothers me, way more than I want it to. I'm a stay at home mom, a full time graduate student, a part time piano teacher, a classically trained Soprano, a primary chorister, and a wife. I DO A LOT!!!
And yet, I see people on facebook and I start to feel like I am so much.... less. Like I haven't really done a lot. There are women with more children. More education. More fame. More talent. And they make WAY more money. You won't find much on me on the internet. Seriously, try googling my name, you'll find my pinterest account, and..... that's it.
I try looking up jobs and everyone wants 3-5 years experience. Uh.... I've been a stay at home mom and full times student. I don't have experience in ANYTHING! Except Music.
That's the problem with comparring myself to others. I will NEVER be good enough at anything I do, because there will ALWAYS be someone there who is better.
One of my problems is that I get intimidated by people who are more successful than I am. I don't know how to handle myself. Do I show off my talents and risk being thought of competing with the other person? Or do I back down and not really show my stuff? Movies always say "be yourself" but there are a million different sides to me. Which me do I show? Which side is less risky?
I love listening to Taylor Swifts Shake it off, and Megan Trainors All about that Base. Those two songs make me feel better when I am stressed.
Am I accomplished? According to Pride and Prejudice: “no one can be really esteemed accomplished who does not greatly surpass what is usually met with. A woman must have a thorough knowledge of music, singing, drawing, dancing, and the modern languages, to deserve the word; and besides all this, she must possess a certain something in her air and manner of walking, the tone of her voice, her address and expressions, or the word will be but half deserved.” Caroline Bingley
“All this she must possess,” added Darcy, “and to all this she must yet add something more substantial, in the improvement of her mind by extensive reading.”
Music. Singing, and reading. CHECK!
Drawing... ahahahahahah nope
Dancing, not since having children destroyed this body!
modern languages? Uh.... I can write an awesome paper in English. Spanish, French, Italian? Nope.
My air, manner of walking, tone of voice and expressions?
Hm. I don't know.
No comments:
Post a Comment