Saturday, June 9, 2012

Neurotransmitters

My kids like to ask me questions about the pictures in my psychology book. Today they had me try to explain a picture describing how neurotramsitters get blocked by cocain during synapses.
"The yellow squares are bad canes right?"
"Yes, that's Cocain."
"what about the green circles? are they good?"
"Yes, those are neurotransmitters."
"What about those purple circles?"
"That's where the green circles live, but the cocain yellow squares are blocking the way, so the good green circles can't get back in their homes."
"Oh, that yellow cane is bad! What are the green circles called again?"
"Neurotransmitters."

It's was an interesting conversation. And I think it actually helped me study for my test.

Yesterday I had to explain to them that the picture of a "planet" in the book, was actually a picture of a soon to be zygote. The two gametes had merged, but there were still two nuclei. Don't worry, I kept it G-rated. :) "Mom, what's that planet called?" "That's not a planet, that's a baby." hahahaha

No comments:

Post a Comment