Friday, January 18, 2013

Frustrated Mom

I hate it when I try to be a good mom and it blows up in my face (or rather I end up blowing up in my kids face).

Like trying really hard to fix the stupid Lego fire truck someone gave them for christmas. They lost some of the peices even though I repeatedly told them not to take it apart or to leave it where Enoch could get it. Two hours later of getting mad at it, I get whipped accross the nose with a clip on tie, which results in my screaming at my kids, the truck falls apart AGAIN and I'm throwing the stupid thing across the room.

Or trying to get your child to do his homework so he can turn it in on time and yelling at him because it's taking him three hours to do two pages that should only take him 15 mins.

Or trying to fold laundry while listening to music but your child keep

I feel like being a mom is a no win situation.

I read blogs where moms admit to being a "bad mom" but usually, it's stupid things like, Oh, I gave my child white bread today instade of wheat bread. ohhhhhh My bad mom moments are when I scream at my child and smack him and then realize I smacked the wrong kid.

I have a temper. I know it. My family knows it. Why do moms on mommy blogs never admit that they have tempers? It's like, They all just count to ten and put the child in time out, have a glass of wine and then they're good. They never talk about the whole, I can't even count to ten because my hand has already hit their butts part.

Maybe its because I have too high expectations for myself and my kids. I feel like my kids have to be perfectly behaved at all times or people will look at us and think that we are horrible. I've had people look down on us too many times for me to feel relaxed and calm when my kids start to misbehave. I can handle strangers looking at me weird. It's when people at church or niehgbors or relatives do. My stress levels go way up, and then I'm even less likely to keep my temper. Which just makes things worse.

I find that I am more relaxed when my kids and I are around Asian moms for some reason. They see you yell at your kid in public and tell you thankyou for disciplining your child. "You good mom" they say. It's funny how those words can help me calm down really fast and stay in control. It's a reminder that these things are normal, and not necsisarily a reflection on me and my kids.

So maybe i just need to post sticky notes around my house to remind me that I'm still a good mom when I'm getting frustrated. Maybe it will calm me down.

2 comments:

  1. Considering my last blog post, I don't think I have anything that will be much help to you since we are both struggling with some of the same issues. All I've got is that for me, on really bad days when I am feeling out of control, I often notice that I have an almost out-of-body experience (or at least out-of-mind ;) ). I find I can almost watch myself reacting to Jack. Its like this little gift of consciousness that allows me just enough perspective to realize that I have reached the "overreaction stage". Some part of me, milliseconds before I scream and make threats I don't mean is there in the back of my mind telling me that I am about to be irrational and if I just exert a little [Herculean] effort I can find a more appropriate way to act. I haven't really hit Jack yet, but I've only had one kid for 2 years...and I sure feel like it sometimes. So I am hoping this awareness that I am about to be out of control continues so that I am not on the phone with an abuse hotline. That being said, maybe one time in my life have I actually had the control to listen to that little awareness and tone down my reaction. Most of the time I still say and do just as I was planning on, except that I feel like I am Jack's age the whole time and I know that I should have more control. I'm not sure if you get those moments of perspective or not. If not, sorry, I'm no help :) If so, I guess the advice I have for you that I need to take myself is to pray for more awareness and strength before I am out of control and the ability to stop before I do something I am going to regret. Good luck. Parenting is the pits sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS- and stop reading Mommy Blogs. It helps! :)

    ReplyDelete